Here’s your chance for some bragging rights and to help raise funds for recreation programs for your town.
If your family and friends rave about your chili, why not enter your special recipe in the Oct. 28 Columbia Chili Cook-off, sponsored by Columbia Recreation. You can also compete in the cornbread contest.
Or come to the event to taste the different chili recipes and help the judges make their decision on the best of the best.
You can also enjoy the “Fall Beer Garden” – sponsored by Columbia Package Store – offering seasonal beers for purchase during the cook-off (must be over 21 and must present valid ID to enter the “Garden”).
Or join the morning 5K road race – the 16th Annual Columbia Autumn Classic Road Race – and then refresh yourself with some chili.
To register to run in the race, visit http://www.active.com
All runners and spectators must be in Rec. Park no later than 11:15 a.m., before the start of the race, because the road will be closed until 1 p.m. Please enter via the Lake Road side of Hennequin Road.
The road race and contest take place on Sunday, Oct. 28. Chili tasting begins at 1 p.m.
Entry fee is $25 for the chili contest ($10 for the children’s division), and/or $15 to enter your cornbread. Tasting tickets are $15 each.
Please note – registration to enter the contest and race are due by noon on Friday, Oct. 19.
Each chili contestant must provide:
1. Sterno or propane to keep chili warm.
2. A small card table to cook on.
3. Serving utensils.
4. Any fixings to go with the chili (cheese, sour cream, etc.)
5. List of allergens (wheat, dairy, nuts) in the chili.
6. Enough chili to provide plenty of samples.
Some other important rules:
- Chili cannot be started any earlier than 6 a.m. the day before the competition.
- All contestants must be at Rec Park by 11:15 a.m., before the race begins.
- Contestants must remain with their chili and distribute samples.
- Chili will be identified by number only.
- In the Children’s Division: child may be supervised, but must cook chili on his/her own.
As a memento of the day, black long-sleeved shirts, hoodies and aprons with the “Columbia Chili Cook-Off” logo will be available for sale.
Questions? Please contact the recreation department during office hours at 860-228-8513 or by email at email@example.com
Posted October 16, 2012 – Tell them you read about it in Columbia Today!
Have a news item, event or Letter to the Editor you’d like posted on this news site? Simply send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your town in the subject line of your email. Please also include a phone number where you can be reached if there are questions. For daily updates on local and Connecticut news, “like” us on Facebook at HTNP News. https://www.facebook.com/HTNPnews and find us on our NEW Twitter page at HTNP News (@HTNPNews )